Who would have thought - HealthQuest was the answer?


I truly can't begin to tell you how incredibly excited I am and truly grateful, hopeful and I feel the future will be bright! I couldn't wait to share this with you.  Those that know me, know that I am a painfully shy introvert.  Ok, those in the horse world probably didn't get that vibe, but in the "real world" I'm painfully shy.  Heck, even around my own family, I'm typically on the quieter side. There is the exception of when I'm talking about horses or Magna Wave.  I'll get back to my other "tribe" later and explain what Magna Wave is, as it's the only other topic up until now I can prattle on about for hours. 

I started a Blog over a decade ago when I went on the hunt to find my birthparents.  I'm perfectly content to type away and share all my dark secrets from my keyboard.  I mean, really, who's actually going to read what I write???  I type so I don't forget.  Because I will admit, I forget a lot!  Some things are worth chronicling, and this is definitely one of those times.  I wish I could blame it on old age, but I'm not quite there yet (although my very broken body would disagree).  

Let's get started~

I feel reborn, and I have HealthQuest, and all the AMAZING instructors and incredible members to thank! I have quite the journey ahead of me, but it's one that I excited to go on, as the destination will be a stronger body and I hope I'll be able to ride my beautiful mare again!  I hate to admit how important THAT part of the story is!  Honestly, I can't decide my if my strength is more important than riding, but I suppose they're one and the same. 

I signed up at HealthQuest three weeks ago, and I'm going to every class I think I can handle.  Tears have definitely been shed during a number of classes and I have a feeling more will fall as I continue to gently push myself.  The truth of the matter is, they are cathartic tears, honoring my broken body, as I ask it to try.  To not give up, and to regain the strength and stability I'm so sorely lacking.  

After over 20 years of running a horse farm and 45 years riding there have been a number of accidents, broken bones and crush injuries.  It's funny how those old injuries creep up on you as you age.  It's definitely no fun being achy when you get out of bed long before your hair starts to grey.  I loved my seven day a week job with an average of 13 horses in my care who 100% relied on me for every meal and medical attention around the clock regardless of holiday or family function. Winter was always tough, and yes there was regular cursing as well as daydreaming of being a snowbird and heading to Florida with all the cool riders.

The injury that changed the trajectory of my life and my family's lives was a stupid dirty look my mare gave her pasture buddy as I was walking them into their field.  One dirty look, a sit and spin, and me pinned under flying feet, yielded one broken Joanne.  I stood up after being trampled and had a shoulder that SCREAMED at me and a leg that wouldn't hold me upright.  It's crazy that the AC ligament tear (it's still not repaired) in my left shoulder and the MCL and LCL tears on top of the chronic ACL tear in the left knee left had me relying on one of four ligaments in my left leg to hold me up. There were plenty of other injuries as well, but not being able to walk when you averaged 25,000 steps a day was definitely a major problem.

At the time of the accident, I was as fit as a fiddle with 12% body fat. I was lean and mean.  Not being able to stay upright meant I had to make some serious life changes and it left me quite depressed.  I went through several surgeries trying to put the broken pieces back together again, and food was definitely my friend. It's been a rough 5 years.  

My body was broken, and I was about to give up.  I was hoping one more surgery would stabilize my broken body, and Hospital of Special Surgery informed me that they didn't think there was anything they could do to help the instability in my wonky left knee.  My kids had bugged me endlessly to join the gym they had been members of for years and as a last-ditch effort I decided it was worth giving it a go.  I joined HealthQuest just a few short weeks ago, and I've been trying to get to at least one class a day.  I'm trying all the "easier" classes that aren't high impact/repetition as standing and balancing on my broken parts is challenging enough.  From BodyBalance, to Mat Pilates, to Barre, to Yoga to... and there are so many more to try.  I never would have imagined how supportive the staff as well as the members would be.  It's been absolutely amazing!  The first week + I was taking more time trying to figure out how to get up and down off the mat with a healing ankle fracture and unstable knee, and within 3 weeks I feel like I'm not completely out of place as I manage to arrange the body parts into the right poses, or at least my version of the correct pose dependent on mobility of said parts.  I am still laughing at myself, and often teary eyed as I acknowledge the fact that I can't bend like I used to; but I have faith that over time I will get there again.  

One day at a time.  I will continue to struggle, but I will most importantly continue to show up.  Who knows, maybe those dance classes or BodyCombat will be achievable one of these days.. or years... I've got time and most importantly, I have hope and I can't think of anything better than that!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

No tears today!

Still dreaming, still working, and ever hopeful!